Founded in 1999, the Bard Prison Initiative (BPI) is an innovative college-in-prison program working to redefine the availability, affordability, and expectations typically associated with higher education. Today, BPI students have earned over 600 Bard college degrees and BPI offers extensive support for alumni in and around New York City while continuing to develop a nationwide network of leading universities and colleges.
Flyleaf Creative began working with BPI in 2016, vitalizing their communications, deepening their branding system and establishing their digital marketing strategy. Our work has encompassed various media, to expand BPI’s influence and brand awareness through print and direct mail, including fundraising communications; digital and social media; and a redesign of the website to highlight all facets of BPI’s work.
As a main initiative of 2019, Flyleaf Creative developed a communications strategy to support the growing audience around the release of College Behind Bars, a documentary on PBS directed and produced by Lynn Novick, produced by Sarah Botstein with Ken Burns as executive producer.
Grow traffic to all digital properties by deploying flexible, multi-channel strategies
- Design paid and organic strategy that is both nimble and authentic to BPI’s voice
- Develop strategy for accessible newsletter sign-up, list utilization/management and email content
Engage their growing audience with a graphic, strategy-conscious digital marketing plan
- Roll out website redesign and content enhancements in real time, immersing new visitors from initial points of entry to the website and creating up-to-date, easily navigable content which highlights BPI’s work, the results of that work and their students in new ways
- Design and strategize social media campaigns and content that connect followers with the impact BPI alumni are making in the world and updates them with BPI’s ongoing efforts/results
Educate visitors/followers with a deeper understanding of BPI
- Create visually captivating print pieces and event takeaways that communicate BPI’s work and impact
- Create social media campaigns that connect followers with the social justice issues important to BPI
- Create print and digital materials to encourage tuning in to College Behind Bars and to support the surge in awareness as a response to the film
Galvanize support of the organization
- Streamline efforts for donations by creating new access points for website visitors unfamiliar with the organization and creating a more user-friendly giving page interface
- Design simple, mission-driven direct mail pieces to aid the efforts of BPI’s development department